Intense Pulsed Light is a technology that applies light to the skin to disable the hair follicles and disrupt the hair growth cycle. A handful of the “wonder-devices” that make use of this technology can also minimize visible blood vessels, treat skin pigmentation and stimulate collagen regeneration.
The light energy used by these devices is much more gentle than that used by laser systems which has made it perfectly safe to use – even on sensitive areas such as the face or bikini line.
There are now IPL home hair removal solutions available on the market that anyone can use in the convenience of their own home. They are relatively cost-efficient and it is possible to remain hair free for anywhere up to two months between treatments. Having said this, it is also important to be aware of some Do’s and Don’ts for before and after.
Pre-treatment Do’s and Don’ts:
– When you first unpack your new IPL hair removal device from the shiny, new packet it came in, the first thing to do is read the instructions. Some systems need you to be clean-shaven, others say that you will need to have hair growth of a particular length and some say don’t wax. The key is to be certain you know what your particular solution requires.
– Keep your skin moisturized at all times. If your skin is well moisturized, you’re going to get much better results.
Post Treatment Do’s and Don’ts:
– Your skin may feel very tender and sensitive after treatment. This is quite normal and would probably have been described in the instruction leaflet that came with your device. You can keep any discomfort under control by applying a cold compress or using a soothing cream such as aloe vera.
– Moisturize the area thoroughly but avoid the use of perfumed products that may irritate the skin. Doing this will rapidly calm any irritation you may experience.
– Pat yourself dry with a soft towel rather than rubbing at the skin aggressively.
– Stay out of the sun for the time period stipulated in the instructions and make use of a high SPF factor sun cream.
– Thoroughly study the instructions that accompany your device to make sure you are aware of the required time intervals between treatments.
– Permanent hair reduction if you continue to use the device as directed.
– Your underarms, bikini line, legs, chest, back or top lip should remain devoid of hair for anything up to two months.
– There are cost-savings and time-savings in the long-term.
– It may be painful for anyone that has a low pain threshold and for those with sensitive skin.
– If you’re planning on getting a deep, dark tan on your summer holiday the probability is you’ll have to forget about using your IPL device for a while.
– You need to have a light skin colouring combined with dark hair for the IPL technology to work best so it’s not an option for everyone.